Hampshire re-sign South African leggie Imran Tahir
London: Eyeing a promotion to the top flight after three years, English county club Hampshire have re-signed South African leg-spinner Imran Tahir for a short-contract subject to visa clearance.
The 35-year-old Pakistan-born cricketer will be available for the last two County Championship matches against Kent and Glamorgan, reports BBC.
In the past, Imran, who has 40 Test wickets for South Africa, has made 77 appearances for the club.
"It`s the business end of the season and there is no (pace bowler) Kyle Abott," Hampshire director of cricket Giles White was quoted as saying by BBC Wednesday.
"So Imran comes in and hopefully gets us over the line in terms of promotion. As the season goes on it`s more conducive to spin, that and the fact he has been with us before means he will fit in easily and make a difference," he said.
Imran first played for Hampshire in 2008 and his most successful season was in 2011 when he picked up 50 wickets. But it was also in 2011 that Hampshire were relegated from Division One of the County Championship.
They are now in Division Two and are currently second, 25 points behind leaders Worcestershire and eight ahead of Surrey in third. The top two teams will be promoted to the first division.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed