Harbhajan goes wicketless but Punjab win comfortably
New Delhi: Harbhajan Singh went wicketless on his return to competitive cricket but lead his team to comfortable four-wicket win over Ranji Trophy semi-finalists Haryana in the Vijay Hazare Trophy at the Services Ground in Palam on Monday.
Opting to bat first, Haryana scored 243 for six and Punjab successfully chased the target in 46.4 overs losing only six wickets.
Punjab captain Harbhajan bowled eight overs giving away 46 runs in the process while Manpreet Gony (2/40) returned with best figures. Haryana captain Nitin Saini (77, 101 balls, 4x4) and all-rounder Sachin Rana (59, 52 balls 3x4, 2x6) were the main scorers.
For Punjab, middle-order batsman Amitoze Singh (76, 56 balls, 7x4, 2x6) and his partnership of 61 runs for the sixth wicket with Bipul Sharma (29 not out) in just 8.3 overs proved to be the clincher.
The other significant partnership was 78 runs between opener Karan Goel (41) and No 3 batsman Gurkirat Singh Ahluwalia (43).
The absence of seasoned Amit Mishra hurt Haryana badly as they didn`t have the required experience to check the run-flow during the middle-overs. Young Harshal Patel (2/41) got a couple of wickets but lacked support from the other end.
Brief Scores: Haryana 243/6 in 50 overs (Nitin Saini 77, MS Gony 2/40, Harbhajan Singh 0/46). Punjab 247/6 (Amitoze Singh 76, Harshal Patel 2/41). Punjab won by 4 wkts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi