Harbhajan roars back to form with 7-wicket match haul
London: Senior off-spinner Harbhajan Singh was back in his element as he had match-haul of seven wickets (4/91 & 3/62) for Essex against Glamorgan in an English county game, which ended at the Castle Park Ground, in Colchester, yesterday.
Having taken four wickets in an earlier match against Kent in Canterbury, the `Turbonator` has now taken 11 wickets in two first-class match -- a clear indication that he is in fine form.
The national call-up must have spurred country`s senior most spinner to show that he still has a lot of fire left in him. The zip is back, so are the confident strides as he bowled a total of 65 overs in the match --- 35 in the first innings and 30 in the second innings.
This is incidentally the first of his five first-class matches that wasn`t interrupted by rain as Harbhajan grew in confidence with each wicket.
Harbhajan`s scalps in the first innings included Ben Wright (47), centurion Stewart Walters (159), Mark Wallace (36) and Dean Cosker (4). It was due to Harbhajan`s controlled bowling after which Glamorgan easing their way at 316 for three were all-out for 438.
Essex scored 520 in their first innings and then it was Harbhajan, who opened the bowling got three quick wickets of William Bragg (23), Nick James (32) and first innings centurion Stewart Walters (1) to reduce Glamorgan to 63 for four.
The wickets of Bragg and Walters especially were satisfying as both were caught by glovesman James Foster.
It was a classical off-break that turned away from Bragg into the gloves of Foster while right hander Stewart got a straighter one. Harbhajan`s form augurs well for India`s World T20 campaign and should also give selectors confidence to get him back to Test squad for the tougher Test series against England and Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced