Hashan denies naming de Silva, Sanath in fixing
Colombo: Former captain Hashan Tillakaratne has denied that he had named ex-skippers Aravinda de Silva and Sanath Jayasuriya as being involved in match-fixing, which he had claimed to have been going on in Sri Lanka since 1992.
Squashing reports by a Lankan website that he had revealed the names of de Silva and Jayasuriya, Tillakaratne made a statement denying mentioning any names to President Mahinda Rajapaksa during a recent meeting.
"While my wife Apsari Tillakaratne and Rev Uduwe Dhammaloka also took part with me in a meeting which had been summoned by His Excellency the President to find out about the earlier statement I had made to this assembly, I would like to insist to this august assembly that there was no mention of any player or person at that meeting," Tillakaratne stated.
Tillakaratne, who is now an opposition UNP member in the Western Provincial Council, made this statement at a Council meeting, according to `Daily Mirror`.
A Lankan website had reported that Tillakaratne had named de Silva and Jayasuriya as involved in match fixing when he met the president along with popular Buddhist monk Uduwe Dhammaloka.
Tillakaratne also said that he is co-operating with the Sri Lanka Police investigation and the ICC investigation into the allegations he had made about match fixing.
"The Criminal Investigation Department summoned me twice and I fully co-operated on both occasions. I would like to insist that I am the plaintiff and not the accused in this case," Tillakaratne said.
"My telephone numbers have been provided to the ICC to let them contact me at any time they want. Sri Lanka Cricket has also provided me with the telephone numbers of the relevant authorities for me to contact them," he added.
Tillakaratne was a member of Sri Lanka`s only World Cup-winning team in 1996 along with Jayasuriya and de Silva.
In a television interview, Tillakaratne had said that matches were fixed during his career and fixing was rampant in Lankan cricket since 1992. He had said he would reveal the names of those involved in fixing matches at an appropriate time.
He had also questioned several decisions of Sri Lankan team management and captain during the recent World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka, which was played in Mumbai on April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015