Hashan should prove his allegations: Muralitharan
New Delhi: Retired Sri Lankan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan feels his former teammate Hashan Tillakaratne should either furnish proof of match-fixing by the country`s cricketers or stop making such allegations as he might just end up getting sued.
"I don`t know why he has said this. If somebody is making such claims, he should first give enough proof to support them otherwise someone can sue him," said Muralitharan
At a television chat show last week Tillakaratne said match-fixing existed in Sri Lankan cricket since 1992 and he would reveal the names soon. He also expressed reservations about the team selection for the 2011 World Cup.
Tillakaratne, however, refused to divulge the names of those cricketers today, saying he would make the revelations only to the ICC.
On being asked whether he had been approached by any bookie during his 18-year career, Muralitharan said never.
"In any case I will tell this to ICC`s anti corruption unit only. There is a code and all the players follow that," said the veteran, who plays for IPL debutant Kochi Tuskers Kerala.
He also rejected suggestions that Tillakaratne`s allegations have tarnished the image of Sri Lankan Cricket.
"Hashan has made allegations and only he is answerable for that. I don`t know what to say. These are mere allegations which have not been proved yet," he said.
The highest wicket-taker in both Tests (800) and ODIs (519), Muralitharan retired from Tests in 2010. He played in four World Cup tournaments -- 1996, 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011.
He was the part of Sri Lankan team that lost to India in 2011 final on April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez