HC asks Nimbus to deposit Rs 305 crore with court
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court asked Nimbus Communications, which owns Neo Sports and Neo Cricket, to either deposit an amount of Rs 305 crore in the court or give a bank guarantee pending hearing of the dispute with BCCI.
Justice S J Vazifdar asked Nimbus to secure the amount earned by one of its sports channels as advertisement revenue which the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is seeking, to offset its dues following termination of its broadcasting contract by the Cricket Board.
The court was hearing an application moved by the BCCI seeking direction to Nimbus to deposit the money payable to BCCI as deposit in the high court.
BCCI claimed that over Rs 300 crore is due to be paid to them because of the telecast of the England and West Indies series by Neo Sports.
BCCI counsel Raju Subramanium said that ad revenues collected by Neo Sports could be used to offset the obligations on Nimbus`s behalf.
BCCI pointed out the balance sheet of year ending March 2011, which shows that Rs 7,000 crore is payable by Neo Sports to Nimbus and that the money could in fact be used to pay off the BCCI.
Virag and Virendra Tulzapurkar, instructed by Anil Menon, counsels for Nimbus and Neo Sports, opposed the application stating that the terminated contract was between BCCI and Nimbus and Neo Sports was nowhere in picture.
Hence, Nimbus would be liable to pay the amount to BCCI and not Neo Sports, they contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now