HC notice to Delhi govt on BCCI plea
New Delhi: The city government on Monday directed to respond to a cricket board plea challenging a notice asking it to pay entertainment tax on the money received so far from the sponsors for the IPL and T20 matches held here since 2008.
Issuing a notice to Delhi government, a bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru sought the response by November 12 on BCCI`s plea seeking quashing of the notice and subsequent proceedings against the cricket body.
The bench also stayed the government` notice till its further order.
In pursuance of the amendment in the Delhi Entertainment and Betting Tax Act, on January, 14, 2013 the government had asked BCCI to deposit the due entertainment tax on the payment received from the sponsors of advertisements during the IPL and T20 matches held at Firoz Shah Kotla stadium since 2008.
The government had also levied 15 per cent interest on the amount to be paid by the sports body.
In its plea, BCCI sought quashing of the amendment in the Delhi Entertainment and Betting Tax (DEBT) Act saying the same is unconstitutional as it has been made with retrospective effect.
"Quash all actions taken in pursuance of amendment (on October 1,2012) to the DEBT Act vide notice January 14, 2013..."
"This amendment has been made with retrospective effect from April 1, 1998. The amendment now demands that the proprietor should go back in time and collect the tax from persons who may have had sponsorship agreements with the proprietor in the past. This clearly results in an absurdity as it demands the impossible," the BCCI plea said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon