HC notice to Delhi govt on BCCI plea
New Delhi: The city government on Monday directed to respond to a cricket board plea challenging a notice asking it to pay entertainment tax on the money received so far from the sponsors for the IPL and T20 matches held here since 2008.
Issuing a notice to Delhi government, a bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru sought the response by November 12 on BCCI`s plea seeking quashing of the notice and subsequent proceedings against the cricket body.
The bench also stayed the government` notice till its further order.
In pursuance of the amendment in the Delhi Entertainment and Betting Tax Act, on January, 14, 2013 the government had asked BCCI to deposit the due entertainment tax on the payment received from the sponsors of advertisements during the IPL and T20 matches held at Firoz Shah Kotla stadium since 2008.
The government had also levied 15 per cent interest on the amount to be paid by the sports body.
In its plea, BCCI sought quashing of the amendment in the Delhi Entertainment and Betting Tax (DEBT) Act saying the same is unconstitutional as it has been made with retrospective effect.
"Quash all actions taken in pursuance of amendment (on October 1,2012) to the DEBT Act vide notice January 14, 2013..."
"This amendment has been made with retrospective effect from April 1, 1998. The amendment now demands that the proprietor should go back in time and collect the tax from persons who may have had sponsorship agreements with the proprietor in the past. This clearly results in an absurdity as it demands the impossible," the BCCI plea said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM