HC reserves order on PIL against Tendulkar`s nomination to RS
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today reserved its order on a PIL challenging Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination to the Rajya Sabha.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw reserved the order after hearing arguments from both the sides.
Appearing for Centre, Additional Solicitor General Rajeev Mehra said Tendulkar`s nomination in the Upper House is as per the constitutional provision which also allows induction of experts from the field of sports.
The senior lawyer said the provision under Article 80 of the Constitution is not confined to inducting experts only from the fields of science, arts, literature and social services but also from sports, education and other areas.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by Ram Gopal Singh Sisodia, a former Delhi MLA, challenging Tendulkar`s nomination alleging that he does not possess any of the qualifications prescribed under Article 80 of the Constitution for being nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
"A bare reading of the article makes it clear that the person to be nominated should have special knowledge or practical experience in matters like literature, science, arts and social service, but the expertise so required for nomination is not confined to the specific illustrations given in the article," he said.
In an affidavit to the High Court, the Centre had earlier said, "The special knowledge and practical experience required for the purpose is not confined to the said four categories only but would also include categories like sports, education, law, history, academics attainments, Indology, economics, journalism... Or other similar fields of human endeavour."
Appearing for Sisodia, counsel R K Kapoor told the bench that the Constitution allowed the government to nominate to the Rajya Sabha persons only from four fields - arts, science, literature and social science, and argued that the nomination of a sports person to the Rajya Sabha was unconstitutional.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!