Healy says Wade no longer second choice
Sydney: Australian wicket-keeping great Ian Healy has said that Matthew Wade might cease to be an wicket-keeping understudy to Brad Haddin following his demotion from the one-day team for the limited-overs tour to India.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Wade`s omission for the India tour is an obvious blow to his hopes of playing in the 2015 World Cup, and may indicate that he will no longer be an automatic second selection choice to Haddin, who has now reclaimed his old role as first-choice gloveman in the Test and ODI sides.
Although Wade retained his role as wicketkeeping understudy for the Ashes tour after making way for Haddin to return to the Test team as Michael Clarke`s vice-captain earlier this year, however, Healy said that he believes that even though he is back in the keeping pack, Wade`s status as understudy to Haddin can no longer be assumed.
However, Healy also said that the setback should bring out the best in the combative Wade`s batting and keeping to prove he deserved a recall if he leads his team Victoria successfully in the revamped Ryobi Cup tournament in Sydney next month.
Meanwhile, Healy further said that he believes that Wade will be given strong competition as Haddin`s understudy by Queensland player Chris Hartley as Hartley is consistent, make runs when needed and does not miss wicketkeeping dismissals that often.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31