Healy says Wade no longer second choice
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 11:42
  
Healy says Wade no longer second choiceSydney: Australian wicket-keeping great Ian Healy has said that Matthew Wade might cease to be an wicket-keeping understudy to Brad Haddin following his demotion from the one-day team for the limited-overs tour to India.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Wade`s omission for the India tour is an obvious blow to his hopes of playing in the 2015 World Cup, and may indicate that he will no longer be an automatic second selection choice to Haddin, who has now reclaimed his old role as first-choice gloveman in the Test and ODI sides.

Although Wade retained his role as wicketkeeping understudy for the Ashes tour after making way for Haddin to return to the Test team as Michael Clarke`s vice-captain earlier this year, however, Healy said that he believes that even though he is back in the keeping pack, Wade`s status as understudy to Haddin can no longer be assumed.

However, Healy also said that the setback should bring out the best in the combative Wade`s batting and keeping to prove he deserved a recall if he leads his team Victoria successfully in the revamped Ryobi Cup tournament in Sydney next month.

Meanwhile, Healy further said that he believes that Wade will be given strong competition as Haddin`s understudy by Queensland player Chris Hartley as Hartley is consistent, make runs when needed and does not miss wicketkeeping dismissals that often.

ANI

First Published: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 11:42


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular in News