Hick to mentor Oz batsmen in art of playing `marathon` innings
Sydney: Former England batting enigma Graeme Hick will be mentoring emerging Australian batsmen from this winter and teach them the lost art of playing marathon innings.
The Brisbane-based Centre of Excellence (COE) batting coach Stuart Law and head coach Troy Cooley have recently recruited Hick as a consultant in the hope Australia`s emerging batsmen can profit from the wisdom of his 25-year first-class career.
Stating that the COE wants to focus on getting batsmen to build and score bid innings , Hick, who played 65 Tests for England in a 41,000-run first-class career, said that he is looking forward to mentoring the batsmen.
However, the batting legend, who once scored 405 not out in a county match for Worcester, admitted that today`s cricket, like society, has become obsessed with the quick fix, adding that today`s players get praise even if they play only a few exciting shots like a reverse sweep or a switch hit.
Hick further said that many young players of today now like being flashy and are probably more concerned about playing the reverse sweep than batting a long time.
Hick, who spent much of his career battling the suffocating pressures of life on the fringe, said that he sees clear similarities between his own career and those of many current Australian players, adding that today`s players try to cement their place as well as play for the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey