Holding’s ‘illegal Doosra’ comments miff Iqbal
Karachi: Former Pakistan spinner Iqbal Qasim has insisted that "doosra" is a legal delivery, and advised former Jamaican fast bowling legend-turned-commentator Michael Holding to take his reservations over this issue to the International Cricket Council.
The Jamaican commentator was heard questioning the legality of the doosra during the second ODI between Pakistan and the West Indies in St Lucia last Monday.
Clarifying his comments, Holding stated: "My belief regarding the doosra is very clear, I don``t think it can be bowled legally."
“Such a comment, which is directed at a team, is not prudent from a commentator like Holding… Pointing fingers only at the Pakistani bowlers is not correct,” said Qasim.
"Doosra is no more the secret weapon of Pakistani bowlers, as other bowlers like Sri Lanka’s Ajanta Mendis and India’s Harbhajan Singh are also bowling it with great effect,” he added.
Iqbal advised Holding to take his reservations over the ‘Doosra’ to the ICC, and ask them to take laboratory tests of not only the Pakistani spinners, but also every bowler who bowls it, before commenting on its legality.
Since the referees and umpires monitoring the matches have not objected to the delivery, the probability that the ‘Doosra’ being illegitimate is very low, the former Pakistani spinner noted.
“There are cameras, umpires and referees closely observing matches, so if Doosra had been an illegal delivery, they must have had complained to ICC. However nothing has happened yet and hence, Doosra is a legal delivery,” he maintained.
He recalled the incident in which the Australians had complained about the bowling action of Sri Lankan spin maestro Muttiah Muralitharan, before it was deemed legal by the ICC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves