Honoured to be part of Clarke`s great innings: Mike Hussey
Sydney: Australia`s veteran middle-order batsman Mike Hussey was happy to be part of history with skipper Michael Clarke during their record 334-run unbroken stand for the fifth wicket on the third day of the second cricket Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) here Thursday.
Hussey was unbeaten on 150 after combining for an unbroken 334-run stand with his captain, who was not out on 329, the highest score at the SCG. Clarke was five runs shy of Mark Taylor and Don Bradman`s 334 when he selflessly declared the Australian innings at 659 for four.
The 36-year-old Hussey, who was struggling to find a place in the team at the start of the series, was not bothered with his 16th Test ton being overshadowed by Clarke`s knock - the fourth highest Test score by an Australian player - in the 100th Test at the SCG.
"I don`t really mind. I said to Pup out in the middle I`m honoured and privileged to be a part of that. It was a fantastic innings and one that I`ll remember for a long time ... and one that got our team into a very strong position in the Test match. That`s what I`ll remember about it," he said.
Hussey`s knock should quieten his critics who were thinking his time in the Test team might be drawing to a close after a poor run of form since the recent tour of South Africa.
"I guess the opinions that matter the most to me are the captain, the coach and the selectors. They`ve always been very supportive of me. That`s given me a lot of confidence to prepare as well as I can. I`ve been feeling good but it`s just the way the game goes sometimes.
"A day like today really makes you enjoy the good days because there are a lot of bad days in cricket. When you have a good day you`ve got to make sure you appreciate it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister