Hope Ireland gain Test status while I`m playing: Niall O`Brien
London: Niall O`Brien is a left-handed batsman and wicket-keeper who has played 51 one day internationals and 20 T20Is for Ireland.
In an interview with Pakpassion.net, O’Brien revealed that he has recently signed a three year deal with Leicestershire following three seasons at Kent and six years at Northamptonshire.
He also reveals that in Ireland that playing cricket was an important past-time in the family.
“My dad played cricket for Ireland, captained Ireland, so it was an every day thing for me and my family and friends growing up in the village called Sandymount in Dublin,” O’Brien says.
“My dad was probably one of my biggest mentors. When I started playing the top level of club cricket as a 14-year-old, he was still playing as a 50-year-old, or there or thereabouts, so he was my biggest mentor. But I did have some good coaches along the way,” he adds.
“The biggest stepping stone of my career was when Adrian Burrell, the Ireland coach, took over in 2002 and he took my game and Irish cricket to another level,” O’Brien said.
He also said that he has enjoyed his 11 years in the England cricket county circuit.
He also said that he was confident of his ability to score runs at the international level on a regular basis.
He said that he still retains hope of Ireland being given full Test status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?