Hope Waqar-Moin combo would rid Pak team of divisions: Sethi
Karachi: Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Najam Sethi says he has put faith in the combination of head coach Waqar Younis and chief selector-cum-manager Moin Khan to rid the national team of divisions and internal problems.
"Waqar will be the strategic driving force in the team and Moin`s main role is chief selector. I am confident that when they work together every player in the team will get a clear message what is expected of them and what they can`t do," Sethi said on Duniya TV channel last night.
"You keep on hearing about problems in the team but I am sure when Waqar and Moin work together, these divisions and reports of players trying to undermine each other will end," he added.
The PCB chief said he was sure the players will be on their best behaviour and keen to perform to their optimum.
"I am sure even Misbah-ul-Haq will be alert as captain. I am sure this combination will click," he stated.
The PCB chief also defended the decision to appoint Waqar as head coach even though the Board had invited applications for the post from other candidates.
"Waqar is a very popular choice...Whoever we spoke too backed his appointment and even in the board he was a popular choice. After a long time the board now has a free hand to take long term decisions."
The PCB chief maintained that he put full faith in the combination of Waqar and Moin and the captain to improve the team`s performances.
He also reiterated his confidence in the captaincy of Misbah-ul-Haq saying he had the full backing of the board.
Sethi also confirmed that while no bowling coach would be appointed with the team because Waqar would also look after this department, but the Board would announce a full-time batting coach, fielding coach, spin consultant and physiotherapist for the team.
"We have shortlisted three candidates for the batting coach position and will make an announcement shortly."
Former captain, Inzamam-ul-Haq and Zimbabwean Grant Flower are top candidates for the batting coach position while Pakistan`s former spin twins, Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq are in the run for the spin consultant position.
Waqar will take charge as head coach in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'