How Delhi Police stumbled upon spot-fixing in IPL
New Delhi: It all started with a probe into a case related to organised crime when an alert official of Delhi Police`s Special Cell heard an unusual conversation about giving signals at the cricket ground.
This generated some interest in the official who, after informing his seniors, began finding as to who has to give signals and why.
After monitoring a phone call, the investigation had virtually turned pan-India with some of the bookies based in Gujarat and Mumbai.
After stumbling upon the "accidental" call, the Delhi Police`s Special Cell, which recently had Madan Mohan Oberoi as its Joint Commissioner after completing his tenure with CBI, began monitoring all the phones linked to one call.
And as time passed by, the Delhi Police sensed it was a sensational case.
Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar was personally monitoring the case almost on a daily basis and had coordinated with police forces of other states as well so that there is no faux pas.
And finally after recording over 100s of hours of conversations, Delhi Police decided to crack the whip by arresting 14 people including three players of Rajasthan Royals -- S Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan.
Meanwhile, the case for which the monitoring was being done is still under investigation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: List of World's 'most racially intolerant' countries
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'