How Rohit Sharma's epic knock created history in more than one way
Rohit Sharma created history on Thursday when he played a blitzkrieg knock of 264 runs against Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens in the fourth ODI of the five match series.
New Delhi: Rohit Sharma created history on Thursday when he played a blitzkrieg knock of 264 runs against Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens in the fourth ODI of the five match series.
His record-breaking double ton broke many cricketing records. Lets have a look at five major records Sharma made or broke during his 173-ball innings.
1. The opener has now become the first person to have two ODI double tons against his name. The right hander, scored his first double hundred against Australia last year in November, where he played a match-winning knock of 209 runs.
2. On Thursday, even after reaching the landmark of 200 runs, Rohit didn't stop and went on to score 264 runs. In doing so he surpassed Virender Sehwag's record of 219, scored against West Indies in 2011.
3. In his stupendous innings Rohit smashed 33 boundaries and created history by becoming the highest boundary scorer in a match. Earlier, Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag shared the record with 25 boundaries each.
4. In his 173-ball stay Sharma scored 186 runs in boundaries, laced with 33 fours and 9 sixes, which created another world-record of most runs in boundaries by an individual in a single match.
5. Though stylish batsman narrowly missed out on the record for the highest individual scorer in a List A cricket. However, his extraordinary knock certainly made him the highest Indian scorer in List A cricket.