Hughes not given preparation time: Coach
Melbourne: Struggling Australian batsman Phil Hughes`s batting mentor has lashed out at Cricket Australia for denying his ward preparation time ahead of his maiden India Test tour.
Neil D`Costa, Hughes` batting coach, claimed that he emailed the CA before the Indian tour requesting one-on-one time to educate Hughes on sub-continental conditions foreign to the left-hander.
D`Costa had previously worked with Test trio Michael Clarke, Mitchell Starc and Moises Henriques. He also has good understanding of Indian conditions, spending two years as head coach of Nagpur`s VCA Academy between 2009-11.
He said the CA chiefs rejected his proposal, citing a lack of time in a hectic playing schedule to free up opportunities for Hughes to work with his batting mentor.
"I sent CA an email saying I`d like to see Phil for a period to help prepare him for India. Unfortunately, through Cricket Australia`s great wisdom, that didn`t happen. They said there wasn`t time in the schedule for it and it would have to be within the team framework," D`Costa said.
"I said OK, `can you let me know a timeframe`, and they never got back to me. Then they were off to India. It`s ridiculous," he was quoted as saying by `Courier Mail`.
"There are tactics and certain drills that can help you succeed in India. You can`t bat in India like you bat in Australia. You need to look after a player`s mental health as well. I had a program for Phil to work on. I wanted to put some strategies in place, and talk about each ground he would play at and basically set him up."
The 24-year-old Hughes has endured a nightmare trip, scoring 25 runs at an average of 6.25, and risks being dropped for the third time in his career for the third Test at Mohali starting on March 14. He has struggled on spinning decks in Chennai and Hyderabad, making 6, 0, 19, 0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened