Hughes reveals how Warner’s breaking Test stereotype inspired his ‘renaissance’
Sydney: Phil Hughes, who has been named in the Australia Test squad for the first Test match against Sri Lanka in Hobart, has revealed how David Warner’s smashing stereotype inspired his Test rebirth.
Hughes will join forces with Warner in the first Test against Sri Lanka in Hobart later this week, a year after cricket`s version of trading places left one in the game`s back blocks.
Hughes, now tipped to take Shane Watson`s spot at No.3, wants to be known as a technically sound, 360-degree run-scorer who can succeed across all forms just as Warner has shaken typecasting as a pure Twenty20 slugger.
“He was stereotyped, but is good in all forms and can take away a game in an hour from the opposition, that is how dangerous Davey is,” News.com.au quoted Hughes, as saying.
“Dave is always on the go, good to have around and brings a lot to any team he plays in. Dave and I have played a lot of cricket together since juniors for New South Wales. He is an outstanding player, I know him well,” he added.
The prospect of Warner, Cowan and Hughes united in Australia`s top order appeared remote last December, and it was a bitter pill for Hughes to swallow, having opened with Warner in the Blues`` 2009 Champions League title win and 2010-11 Shield final.
Hughes said: “It was tough, but that is how it was. I knew all I had to do was score runs in both forms and this summer I have been the most consistent," said Hughes.
While Warner has become a million-dollar earner across all formats for Australia, Hughes`s rousing 74 from 48 deliveries for the Strikers against Perth Scorchers, 323 domestic one-day runs at 80.75 and a Sheffield Shield average of 51.8 for South Australia this season secured a Test recall and reputation for free-scoring.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit consequence: British thaali may give Indian lady's finger a miss
- Ajay Devgn to star in Rohit Shetty's 'Golmaal 4'! Details inside
- WATCH: Harbhajan Singh was up against a wrestler...See What Happened Next...
- After NSG setback, India joins Missile Technology Control Regime as full member; China awaits membership
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor