Hughes says would be melancholy duty replacing ‘idol’ Ponting in Oz Test team
Sydney: Phil Hughes has said it would be a melancholy duty replacing his idol Ricky Ponting in the Australian Test team if he is given a chance by the national selectors against Sri Lanka.
Hughes, who has scored 518 Sheffield Shield runs at 51.80 in five matches this season, received his baggy green from Ponting in Johannesburg in 2009 and is a leading contender to replace the retiring 168-Test legend in Australia`s first Test against Sri Lanka in Hobart from December 14.
“Playing against Sri Lanka would be great but the bottom line is it is down to the selectors. It is out of my hands,” News.com.au quoted Hughes, as saying.
“The most pleasing thing is I have been scoring runs in both forms. It is out of my hands. I know my next game is on Sunday week for the Adelaide Strikers in Perth and that is what I am preparing for,” he added.
Hughes said he would have loved a recall in a side with Ponting still playing.
“I was extremely surprised by the announcement. The whole nation wants him to finish with a bang and get a big score this Test,” Hughes said.
“Ricky presented me my baggy green in Johannesburg and that was a moment I will never forget,” he added.
Hughes knows what a roller coaster ride Test cricket can be with three Tests tons and as many demotions, but he admits Ponting passed on lessons of resilience to last a career.
“Before my first series Justin Langer called me and said do him a favour and just look at the way Ricky conducts himself and his work ethic and intensity around the group,” recalled Hughes.
“I always had my ear open around him. He is an absolute legend of a person and player. They are little things I have in the back of my mind and will never forget. When he speaks, people listen,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark