Hughes set to miss final ODIs against Indies to prepare for India Tests
Sydney: Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes is expected be pulled out of the final three matches of the one-day series against the West Indies, so that he can rest before the upcoming Test series against India. The young cricketer will play the first two matches of ODI series in Perth, but is expected to be miss the final three matches in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne, as he will be sent to India to adapt to its conditions.
Hughes, who has not played any international game in the Indian subcontinent, will be joined by Test specialists Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird and James Pattinson, the paper added. Hughes’ absence from the final three Test series will be a potential problem for Cricket Australia, who will have to garner support for the left-handed batsman for the Test series against Indies, while defending their decision to leave Hughes out for the final games.
But the 24-year-old has also proved his value to the Test side, averaging nearly 47 this summer after earning a recall in December following 12 months on the outer. Selectors will finalise the touring party for India later this week and there is a chance they may name as many as 16 players, including a seam and spin-bowling all-rounder, to cover all bases.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India