Hussey bats for ‘Hot Spot’ despite Smith’s dismissal controversy
Sydney: Australia batsman Michael Hussey has made light of doubts about the Hot Spot technology that let off South Africa captain Graeme Smith to lead the recovery efforts after the hosts posted a mammoth total on the board in the second Test match at Adelaide.
James Pattinson thought he`d gained an edge from Smith, playing away from his body on 78, and the Australians launched into a vigorous appeal for caught behind.
Umpire Richard Kettleborough raised his finger but after some deliberation Smith asked for a review.
Hot Spot showed no trace of an edge and the decision was overturned. Ricky Ponting approached Smith afterwards, but Hussey later said he was satisfied the correct decision was reached.
“If I`m speaking honestly I actually didn`t hear anything but most of our boys thought they heard a noise,” the Age quoted Hussey, as saying.
“I think if Graeme hit the ball and was given out by the umpire, I think he would have walked off. That tells me he didn`t hit the ball and the technology backed that up because there was nothing on Hot Spot and it sounded like there was nothing on the effects mics as well. To me, maybe the correct decision was made,” he added.
Doubts about Hot Spot`s ability to pick up faint edges have been raised in the past, most notably by the Indian board that refuses to use the decision review system, but the machine`s creator this year said the technology had improved to the point that even the slightest nick showed up on the infra-red cameras used in Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!