Hussey, Clarke out of ODI squad for first two matches
Melbourne: Cricket Australia`s (CA) National Selection Panel (NSP) Sunday named a 13-player squad leaving out Mike Hussey and skipper Michael Clark for the first two One-Day Internationals (ODI) against Sri Lanka.
The matches will be played Jan 11 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Jan 13 at the Adelaide Oval in Adelaide.
Other names missing from the last Australian ODI team that played Pakistan in Sharjah Sep 3 are David Warner, Matthew Wade, Dan Christian and James Pattinson.
"Michael has been battling a hamstring injury for a few weeks and will have a break, as will Matthew Wade and David Warner.
These three players have played in all six Test matches this summer and the intention is to have them returning to the ODI squad refreshed," said national selector John Inverarity.
"Taking a long term view towards the ICC Cricket World Cup, the NSP has decided not to include Mike Hussey in the squad. Mike has been a tremendous ODI player for Australia over a long period of time, a match-winner for his country and his presence in coloured clothing will be sorely missed.
"James Pattinson, together with Shane Watson, were not considered for selection as they are yet to return to full fitness, while Dan Christian has not been included in the squad," added Inverarity.
The squad announced has many young players who have performed well in their last 10 appearances in 50 overs cricket.
George Bailey will be the captain in the absence of Clarke. In addition, Dean Jones has been named as batting coach.
The Australian squad for the first two matches: George Bailey (C), Ben Cutting, Xavier Doherty,
Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Phillip Hughes, David Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Usman Khawaja,
Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy