Hussey says Oz’s talent reserve good enough to replace him
Sydney: Michael Hussey has claimed there is no lack of talent in Australia to replace him in the national team, adding that his younger brother David can get a crack at replacing him in the Test squad.
Hussey`s announcement on Saturday that he`ll retire from international cricket after this summer came exactly a month after Ricky Ponting revealed he was calling time on his storied career, the Age reports.
That leaves another middle-order batting vacancy going into February`s tour of India, followed by two Ashes series, in England then Australia.
However, an unperturbed Hussey, who is set to play his 79th and last Test this week against Sri Lanka at the SCG, insisted there was talent available to step in after his surprise decision to retire despite averaging close to 80 this summer.
Hussey also suggested his 35-year-old brother David, a regular contributor at domestic level for Victoria, should be among those considered.
The veteran middle-order batsman said players have come and gone but Australian cricket has always kept improving and it would be the same case after he retires.
With Phil Hughes already recalled to replace Ponting, Queensland batsman Usman Khawaja is almost certain to get first crack at Hussey`s spot, while Victorian all-rounder Glenn Maxwell is in the 13-man squad for the Sydney Test as injured Shane Watson`s replacement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state