Hyderabad qualifies for Ranji plate group final
Nagpur: Riding on a spirited century from Arjun Yadav 128(16x4,2x6) and some scintillating batting from Man of the Match A Quadri 99 ( 10x4,1x6), Hyderabad forced a draw over Vidarbha but yet qualified for Ranji trophy plate group final by virtue of higher run rate on the fourth and final day at VCA civil lines, on Saturday.
Resuming at the overnight score of 216 for three wickets, Hyderabad batsman Arjun Yadav completed his century soon and held the innings together. Meanwhile, B Sandeep who was stroking well soon fell, snapped behind off medium pacer A Jungade after the pair added 167 for the fourth wicket. At lunch, Hyderabad were 316 for five and in the hunt.
The post lunch session saw A Quadri and I Khaleel stage a remarkable fightback with some stubborn partnership and milked the VCA bowling with ease and at tea Hyderabad were 397 for five wickets.
Quadri in particular played some remarkable shots on either side of the wicket and shared with Khaleel a vital 130 runs stand for the 6th wicket. With the match heading towards a possible draw the focus shifted towards net rate and Hyderabad looked in contention.
With Hyderabad requiring 462 off 166 overs for ensuring passage into the final in the event of non-completion of first innings, the visitors were left with no option but to chase the run rate. However, with two crucial run outs of Quadri on 99, and later Khadeer 08 and fall of Khaleel at 49 to A Wakhre, the match took a turn with the visitors struggling at 449 for eight.
However K Naidu, 29 not out, struck ten runs in Wakhare`s over with a six and a four leaving only three runs for achieving the rate rate target. Lalit Mohan, 17 not out, then completed the target and later in the company of Naidu warded off the Vidarbha new ball attack for four overs without any alarm to seal the game in style.
Elated team coach Sunil Joshi praised the youth brigade for their stupendous effort. He also hailed Arjun Yadav`s performance as a timely one and for reserving the best knock for the semi final. He also lauded Quadri`s performance and felt that he richly deserved the man of the match award.
Brief scores: Vidarbha first innings 531 all out.
Hyderabad first innings 486 for eight off 166 overs. (Arjun Yadav 128, A Quadri 99, B Sandeep 79, I Khaleel 49, K Naidu 29 not out, Lalit Mohan 17 not out. A Jungade 2 for 91, A Wakhare 2 for 126).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says