Hyderabad qualifies for Ranji plate group final
Nagpur: Riding on a spirited century from Arjun Yadav 128(16x4,2x6) and some scintillating batting from Man of the Match A Quadri 99 ( 10x4,1x6), Hyderabad forced a draw over Vidarbha but yet qualified for Ranji trophy plate group final by virtue of higher run rate on the fourth and final day at VCA civil lines, on Saturday.
Resuming at the overnight score of 216 for three wickets, Hyderabad batsman Arjun Yadav completed his century soon and held the innings together. Meanwhile, B Sandeep who was stroking well soon fell, snapped behind off medium pacer A Jungade after the pair added 167 for the fourth wicket. At lunch, Hyderabad were 316 for five and in the hunt.
The post lunch session saw A Quadri and I Khaleel stage a remarkable fightback with some stubborn partnership and milked the VCA bowling with ease and at tea Hyderabad were 397 for five wickets.
Quadri in particular played some remarkable shots on either side of the wicket and shared with Khaleel a vital 130 runs stand for the 6th wicket. With the match heading towards a possible draw the focus shifted towards net rate and Hyderabad looked in contention.
With Hyderabad requiring 462 off 166 overs for ensuring passage into the final in the event of non-completion of first innings, the visitors were left with no option but to chase the run rate. However, with two crucial run outs of Quadri on 99, and later Khadeer 08 and fall of Khaleel at 49 to A Wakhre, the match took a turn with the visitors struggling at 449 for eight.
However K Naidu, 29 not out, struck ten runs in Wakhare`s over with a six and a four leaving only three runs for achieving the rate rate target. Lalit Mohan, 17 not out, then completed the target and later in the company of Naidu warded off the Vidarbha new ball attack for four overs without any alarm to seal the game in style.
Elated team coach Sunil Joshi praised the youth brigade for their stupendous effort. He also hailed Arjun Yadav`s performance as a timely one and for reserving the best knock for the semi final. He also lauded Quadri`s performance and felt that he richly deserved the man of the match award.
Brief scores: Vidarbha first innings 531 all out.
Hyderabad first innings 486 for eight off 166 overs. (Arjun Yadav 128, A Quadri 99, B Sandeep 79, I Khaleel 49, K Naidu 29 not out, Lalit Mohan 17 not out. A Jungade 2 for 91, A Wakhare 2 for 126).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand