‘I don’t think I’m a Muralitharan or a Warne,’ says Swann
London: England off-spinner Graeme Swann insists that despite his World No.3 ranking in International Cricket Council (ICC) Test bowlers list and World No.3 ranking in ODIs, he can’t be compared to spin legends Muttiah Muralitharan or Shane Warne.
“I’ve had two or three fairy-tale years, but I don’t think I’m a Muralitharan or a Warne. I think I’m good at what I do, and I’m lucky to play in an exceptional team that allows me to do it, but at the end of the day I’m an off-spinner. There’s not a great deal of variation, everything I do has to be subtle,” a leading daily quoted Swann, as saying.
“People said when I got to 100 wickets, that I’d done it as quickly as Shane Warne. But I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, partly because of the way the England team came together, and also because technology favoured me. The DRS [decision review] system meant that all of a sudden I was getting a lot of lbws that for years spinners hadn’t been given,” he added.
Swann has played 36 Test and has taken 153 wickets at an average of 28.82.
In March 2010, the 32-year-old had become the first English off-spinner since Jim Laker to take 10 wickets in a match when he achieved the feat in England’s victory in the first Test in Bangladesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'