I have got Maradona`s replica jersey for Sourav: Gavaskar
Kolkata: Sourav Ganguly`s love for soccer is well-known and therefore it wasn`t surprising at all that he requested Sunil Gavaskar who was on a short trip to Argentine capital Buenos Aires, to bring replica No 10 jerseys of Diego Maradona for him.
"I was in Buenos Aires during the break between second and the ongoing third Test and Sourav had asked me to get No 10 jerseys of Diego Maradona. Hopefully, I would present him (Ganguly) tomorrow. I am a big fan of Argentine football," said Gavaskar during a promotional event of his association with Pailan Group.
Gavaskar recollected fond memories of a packed Eden Gardens with vociderous support from 90,000 people.
"When you look back,the applause of 80-90,000 fans still ring in your ears," Gavaskar said when asked about the poor turn-out during the ongoing India England third Test here.
"That`s the current trend everywhere. Not many people have time to watch a five-day game. But when I look back, the Eden crowd is one I would always savour and cherish."
"Even when the capacity was 80,000 people would squeeze in the earlier cemented seats, making Eden an amazing experience," he recalled.
Gavaskar didn`t wish to comment on the recent IOA-IOC controversy.
"I`ve very little idea about the entire issue. But I`ve heard that the IOC has just clarified that athletes would be able to compete in any international events. Hope it`s sorted out since it`s a unique honour for players to sport their country or association`s logo on their chest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video