I have not retired, clarifies Mohammad Yousuf
Karachi: Pakistan batsman Mohammad Yousuf on Tuesday rebutted media reports that he has retired from international cricket.
A few TV channels flashed the news of his retirement, forcing the Test discard to come up with clarifications.
"I am already out of the Pakistan team and haven`t played top class cricket for a while now so what is the purpose of me announcing any retirement," the 38-year-old cricketer said.
"The selectors are not considering me for selection and frankly speaking I haven?t had the chance to play regular cricket for a while now," he added.
Yousuf last played for Pakistan in an ODI against South Africa in Abu Dhabi in November, 2010.
It seems though that Yousuf has given up his hopes of turning up for Pakistan again.
"I would like to see more young players coming up and establishing themselves in the team. If that happens than I will consider my decision to sideline myself was correct."
Yousuf said he was also willing to take up any assignment of batting coach or consultant by the Pakistan Cricket Board.
"It would be a new experience working as batting coach with the team. I would definitely like to look at this opportunity if it comes my way," he said.
Yousuf is one of Pakistan`s leading batsmen with 7530 runs in 90 Tests and 9720 runs in 288 one-day internationals with a total of 39 hundreds.
But since 2010 he has been out of favour with the national selectors and has in recent times devoted most of his time to religious activities.
Chief selector Iqbal Qasim said he was surprised by the news of Yousuf`s retirement.
"He has served Pakistan cricket diligently and if he wants to play domestic cricket to prove himself we will definitely follow him with interest," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 7th Pay Commission: How it will benefit central govt employees and pensioners!
- VIDEO: Brett Lee sledged Zaheer Khan while he was batting. What happened next will blow your mind!
- Delhi High Court notice to CBI in Chhota Rajan fake passport case
- Stunning model 'Miss BumBum' uses Instagram to persuade Lionel Messi to reconsider retirement – WATCH pics
- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels for EU talks