I want to be remembered as a legend: Russell
Antigua: He has just cut his teeth in international cricket but promising West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell has big ambitions and wants himself to be remembered as legend after retirement.
Russell, considered one of the upcoming talents in the West Indies, said he wants to seal a permanent place in the squad and contribute for the team.
"When I retire from international cricket, I want to be called a legend. I want to stay here and contribute as much as I can," Russell said.
"As a young man, trying to make a name for myself, I just want to continue to do well for West Indies and work hard on my game," said the 23-year-old, who has played just six ODIs since making his debut in March.
Batting at nine, Russell hit eight fours and five sixes en route to a 64-ball unbeaten 92 in the third ODI against India but his blazing knock went in vain as West Indies lost the match by three wickets to hand over the five-match series to the visitors.
"When I went in I was not nervous. I actually ran all the way to the crease. I was pumped up from the start, and I knew the team needed me in a big way. I knew I had enough time to get myself settled, build an innings and get a good score," Russell said.
"It was set-up for me. I was able to get my eye in and then play my natural game. I knew I had the power to clear the boundaries, so I knew once I got the start and batted till 45th over, I could get benefits in last five overs," he said.
Russell was all the more happy about the fact that his knock came against world champions India.
"What made this innings special for me was the fact that it was under great pressure, and it came against India. They are the world champions, and to get such a good score against them is a major boost," he said.
"As a cricketer, you always like to test against the best. The innings gave me a lot of confidence and self-belief, the only regret is we lost the match," Russell added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents