I will contest BCCI elections: Srinivasan
New Delhi: Unruffled by the Supreme Court order prohibiting him from taking charge even on winning the election, under-pressure BCCI chief N Srinivasan today said he will stand for the Board`s Presidential polls in the Annual General Meeting in Chennai on Sunday.
Speaking to PTI, Srinivasan said the court has not made a single observation which should stop him from seeking an extended one-year term as Board President at the end of his regular two-year tenure.
"Nobody has stopped me from contesting elections and attending the AGM. Before taking my comments, kindly go through the observations made by the honourable Supreme Court.
"It states clearly that I have not been stopped from attending the AGM and I am also going to contest the election, why shall I not contest the elections?" fumed the 68-year-old Tamil Nadu strongman.
The apex court may not have barred him from contesting the elections but has asked him not to take charge even if he wins but Srinivasan refused to say anything on that.
"I am not going to make any comment on that issue and you are free to write whatever you feel like but write the truth," he said.
Hearing a plea by the Cricket Association of Bihar, which sought to stop Srinivasan from contesting, the Supreme Court today allowed the Tamil Nadu strongman to fight it out but told him not to take charge even if he is elected till further orders.
"In case Srinivasan is elected as President, he will not take charge until further orders," a bench comprising Justices A K Patnaik and J S Kehar said.
The bench took strong exception to Srinivasan still holding charge of BCCI when his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan has been charge sheeted in connection with the IPL spot- fixing case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS