Ian Healy questions South Africa’s decision to play De Villiers as wicket keeper
Sydney: Former Australia wicket keeper Ian Healy has raised question marks over South Africa’s decision to make AB de Villiers keep wicket despite the presence of a specialist Thami Tsolekile in the squad.
The Proteas appear certain to retain de Villiers behind the stumps despite the claims of Thami Tsolekile, considered the best glove man in the country.
Healy believes de Villiers will face a torrid examination of his skills in back-to-back Tests in Adelaide and Perth over the next fortnight.
“AB de Villiers does not need to be the wicket-keeper - and the team does not need him to be the keeper,” a website quoted Healy, as saying.
“How many batsmen do you need? You don`t need decent batsmen down to number seven when you have three decent tailenders as well. Vernon Philander is a decent batsman and so is Dale Steyn,” he added.
“Adelaide on day four and five is seriously hard work. You need a technique. AB is an extremely natural catcher and mover but you need more than a natural in Adelaide if the wicket starts staying down and gets a bit slow to the quicks and you have to stand up a bit closer than you are comfortable doing,” he said.
Healy added: “And then there is the spin and the chopping up of the wicket. I also reckon their fielding team misses him. In Brisbane they were modest at best. Adelaide is a ground where you have to get your head down and really concentrate hard. This is where it could be really challenging for him.”
“I have not seen Thami Tsolekile play but I have seen him warm up and practice and he is doing everything right there. If you have got him in the squad why not use him?” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town