ICC announces crack down on ball tampering
Sydney: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced a crack down on ball tampering with changes coming into effect from October, under which umpires can act on suspicions of ball tampering even if they do not have firm evidence against a particular fieldsman
According to a report, this means that during the Ashes, there will be close scrutiny on the controversial reverse swing methods of England, which was alleged by former captain Bob Willis to have tampered with the ball during the ICC Champions Trophy game against Sri Lanka at The Oval.
The report further said that there will be a two step process in place where the umpire can replace the ball and give the captain a first and final warning if he feels the ball has been `changed`, adding that a five-run penalty will be awarded to the batting team and the reported captain on a second infringement.
Although the report said that the changes will not come into play for this Ashes series, but there is no doubt that umpires will be on the lookout for foul play.
Willis had also hinted that umpire Aleem Dar was onto it when he ordered the ball to be replaced, although England has strongly denied any wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, the report said that England`s bigger worry ahead of the first Test is the form of their batting line-up, which struggled against a second-string attack for second division county side Essex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog