ICC backs `principles` behind cricket shake-up
London: World cricket was set for a shake-up after the International Cricket Council (ICC) gave "unanimous support" for "principles" to change its structure and governance.
However, no sooner had the ICC presented a united front following the first of a two-day board meeting at its Dubai headquarters Tuesday, than South Africa broke ranks.
Prior to the meeting, Cricket South Africa had opposed leaked draft proposals designed to give the sport`s most financially powerful `Big Three` nations of India, England and Australia a greater say in the running of the world game.
And after Tuesday`s talks concluded, CSA president Chris Nenzani said their backing in Dubai would need endorsement from his own board.
"Our position will be subject to full consideration by our Board and other stakeholders."
But the section of the leaked plan that arguably provoked the greatest criticism, namely the `Big Three` being spared relegation in any new two-division Test set-up because of their commercial importance, was rejected by the ICC.
It even indicated the likes of Ireland might join the existing 10 Test nations but without any details.
"There will be an opportunity for all Members to play all formats of cricket on merit, with participation based on meritocracy; no immunity to any country, and no change to membership status," the ICC said.
The statement was clear though in signalling the end of the proposed World Test Championship.
Its delayed launch was supposed to happen in England in 2017.
It has been replaced by the reprieved one-day Champions Trophy, a more commercial and broadcast-friendly proposition.
The `mini World Cup` was spared after a successful `final` edition in England last year.
Plans to bolster the position of the `Big Three` within ICC include the formation of a new five-man executive committee, with three seats reserved for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket Australia (CA).Meanwhile the ICC board agreed to discontinue the centralised Future Tours Programme, designed to ensure the 10 leading countries hosted and toured one another during an eight-year span.
Instead there will be a return to bilateral agreements between nations. These will run from 2015-2023 in common with the ICC`s next commercial rights cycle.
And in a change to the leaked plan, South Africa were included as recipients in a `Test Cricket fund` which will now be distributed by the `Big Three` to all the other seven leading nations, where the five-day game often struggles for support.
Trying to allay fears about a lack of meaningful cricket for the likes of `commercially unattractive` countries such as Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and even New Zealand, the ECB and CA have said they will play a minimum number of fixtures against all other full members.
But the BCCI, which generates some 80 percent of the ICC`s global revenue, has yet to declare its hand.
Indeed Tuesday`s statement said a further meeting had been scheduled for February to work out the details of the new structure.Nevertheless, ICC president Alan Isaac said what had already been "unanimously supported" emphasised the "primacy of Test cricket".
According to the New Zealander, it also meant that "for the first time in cricket`s history participation will be based entirely on meritocracy."
He added: "Extensive work will now be undertaken in advance of a follow-up board meeting next month."
That ICC used the words "unanimous support" indicates no formal vote took place in a close meeting lasting several hours.
There were reports the BCCI, cricket`s financial powerhouse, had threatened the `nuclear option` of quitting ICC events if more money and authority did not come its way.
That already powerful India should have an even greater role in world cricket, was acknowledged when the ICC spoke Tuesday of the "BCCI taking a central leadership responsibility".
Meanwhile Isaac insisted he`d "encouraged" the `Big Three` to devise their `position paper`, adding he`d been disappointed by a leak that led to "unwarranted" criticism of their motives.
"These leading cricket nations have worked tirelessly to produce a document which provided the basis for the past few weeks of extremely constructive discussions," he said.
"Over the coming weeks we can be increasingly confident in achieving consensus."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video