ICC celebrates women`s day
Dubai: The International Cricket Council on Saturday joined millions across the globe in celebrating Women`s Day, a global celebration of the achievements of women that has been celebrated since the early 20th century.
ICC CEO David Richardson said, "International Women`s Day provides an important opportunity to reflect on the progress made in cricket in recent times, and to refocus on the exciting future ahead.
"With the first women`s match of the ICC World Twenty20 Bangladesh 2014 only 15 days` away, I am pleased to say that it will be the fourth time that the men`s and women`s competitions will be played alongside each other, with the women`s semi-finals and final held on the same day and at the same venue as the men`s.
Richardson also recognised the recent appointment of New Zealand`s Kathy Cross to the Emirates International Panel of ICC Umpires as a significant milestone in the ICC`s Females in World Cricket Strategy.
"Kathy Cross became the first female appointed to an ICC match officials` panel, and today, she is standing in World Cricket League Division 5 in Malaysia, a global men`s qualification tournament.
"She is an excellent role model for aspiring male and female umpires, and we hope that this will lead to more female officials in the global game," he said.
Through the implementation of the ICC`s Females in World Cricket Strategy, more women are now involved in cricket than ever before.
Participation numbers are steadily rising and now sit at over 900,000, while additional opportunities for female umpires to officiate internationally are now available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark