`Confident` Tredwell backs England to win `major` Champions Trophy
London: England off-spinner James Tredwell has said that he is confident that England can win the ICC Champions Trophy tournament this year, which is the country`s first 50-over tournament, nearly 40 years after the first one was staged here.
Alastair Cook `s side are two games away from landing the tournament, with Sunday`s nail-biting win over New Zealand in Cardiff, in what was effectively a quarter-final, setting up Wednesday`s last-four showdown with South Africa at the Kia Oval.
Tredwell, who again deputised for the injured Graeme Swann, the second time he has stepped in during the tournament, is confident of staying in the squad for the final games, saying that the thought of winning the competition is a major incentive.
Although the Kent player said that the team is not looking too far ahead as in lifting the trophy, he added that the fact remains in the back of their minds as despite a tough semi-final, England is only two games away from winning the tournament.
Stating that managing to beat New Zealand in the crucial game in Wales was a good result, Tredwell said that England has as good a chance of winning the tournament as any team in the next stage.
Although Cook has made it clear he is in no particular hurry to change a winning team despite Swann being kept out by a sore calf and stiff back, Tredwell said that he hoped that his stint in the squad continues as he feels that he has not let the team down so far in the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon