After poor show in England, some Pak players staying from home
Karachi: Fearing hostile reception after their disastrous campaign at the Champions Trophy in England, some members of the Pakistan cricket team have decided to take their time in returning home.
Sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board said that until now only Abdul Rehman, Kamran Akmal, Wahab Riaz, Asad Shafiq and Muhammad Irfan were scheduled to return home tonight from London.
"The remaining players will come later on while head coach, Dav Whatmore will be stopping over in Dubai while the rest of the coaching staff will also come later," one source said.
The source said some players might even stay back to play some league cricket in England.
But generally the feeling is the players will prefer to return in small groups unannounced to avoid any hostile reception.
In the past whenever, Pakistan has done badly they have come back to strong reactions from the media and public.
All indications are that in next few days some of the players and even the management might find themselves out in the cold in the first reaction to Pakistan`s poor show in England, where they lost all their three matches against South Africa, West Indies and arch-rivals India.
"Certainly Kamran Akmal, Imran Farhat, Shoaib Malik and perhaps even Muhammad Hafeez might have to face the axe before Pakistan`s next series which is against West Indies from July 7," one source said.
PCB chief Zaka Ashraf has also been suspended by the Islamabad High Court from performing his duties due to a constitutional writ petition filed against his election in May this year.
Under this circumstances, sources say Pakistan head coach Dav Whatmore might also be asked to leave midway through his two year contract with the board since he has also been criticized strongly for his failure to do anything notable with the team since taking over in March, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof