Anderson overtakes Gough as England`s leading ODI wicket-taker
London: England seamer James Anderson has set new bowling standards as he overtook Darren Gough as his country`s leading ODI wicket taker, even as England inflicted a crucial early psychological blow on Australia for the Ashes by defeating them in the Champions Trophy opener at Edgbaston.
Anderson, who became only the fourth Englishman to take over 300 Test wickets during the recent series with New Zealand, beat Gough`s total of 234 - wickets when he removed Mitchell Marsh on his way to taking a fine 3-30 from 10 overs, the Mirror reports.
According to the report, Australia, set 270 to win, badly missed their best batsman and captain Michael Clarke as they fell well short, stumbling to 221-9 off their 50 overs at Edgbaston.
The report further said that England, by humbling the Champions Trophy holders, drew first blood in what promises to be a long, tense and action-packed summer of -clashes with the old enemy.
Meanwhile, Ian Bell, who along with Anderson and Tim Bresnan were responsible for a large part of the Australian collapse for which he was named the Man of the Match, said that it was special for him to take part in an England win against Australia, and that too on his home ground.
Praising Anderson, Bell said that the game was very important for his fellow seamer, adding that he is pleased that Anderson has managed to beat Gough`s record with a magnificent bowling show.
Bell`s defiance, and a late and rapid 46 from Ravi Bopara, helped England to 269-6 off their 50 overs, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!