Anderson overtakes Gough as England`s leading ODI wicket-taker
London: England seamer James Anderson has set new bowling standards as he overtook Darren Gough as his country`s leading ODI wicket taker, even as England inflicted a crucial early psychological blow on Australia for the Ashes by defeating them in the Champions Trophy opener at Edgbaston.
Anderson, who became only the fourth Englishman to take over 300 Test wickets during the recent series with New Zealand, beat Gough`s total of 234 - wickets when he removed Mitchell Marsh on his way to taking a fine 3-30 from 10 overs, the Mirror reports.
According to the report, Australia, set 270 to win, badly missed their best batsman and captain Michael Clarke as they fell well short, stumbling to 221-9 off their 50 overs at Edgbaston.
The report further said that England, by humbling the Champions Trophy holders, drew first blood in what promises to be a long, tense and action-packed summer of -clashes with the old enemy.
Meanwhile, Ian Bell, who along with Anderson and Tim Bresnan were responsible for a large part of the Australian collapse for which he was named the Man of the Match, said that it was special for him to take part in an England win against Australia, and that too on his home ground.
Praising Anderson, Bell said that the game was very important for his fellow seamer, adding that he is pleased that Anderson has managed to beat Gough`s record with a magnificent bowling show.
Bell`s defiance, and a late and rapid 46 from Ravi Bopara, helped England to 269-6 off their 50 overs, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued