Ball change costs Dar Champions Trophy final, speculates British media
Birmingham: The change of ball during England`s loss to Sri Lanka in the group stages has apparently cost Pakistani umpire Aleem Dar an opportunity to be an on-field official in tomorrow`s ICC Champions Trophy final.
England captain Alastair Cook was unhappy with Dar for changing one of the match balls in their defeat to Sri Lanka at The Oval last week, leading to speculation of ball tampering.
And the British media speculated that the ball change incident might be a reason behind ICC`s decision to exclude Dar from on-field duties.
"England have been spared one potential concern in the Champions Trophy final with Aleem Dar relegated to the peripheral fourth umpire role," a report in the `The Guardian` said today.
"Dar`s role as fourth umpire will be purely supportive - one of his official roles is to make sure the batteries are working in the light meters," it added.
Kumar Dharmasena and Rod Tucker have been named as the on-field umpires for tomorrow`s final between India and England, while Bruce Oxenford will discharge the duties of the third umpire.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?