Dilshan and Jayawardene reprimanded for excessive appealing
Birmingham: Sri Lanka`s Tillakaratne Dilshan and Mahela Jayawardene have been officially reprimanded for excessive appealing during their Champions Trophy match against New Zealand here.
According to statement from the ICC, Dilshan and Jayawardena were found to have breached Article 2.1.5 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to "excessive appealing during an international match".
The charges were laid by on-field umpires Bruce Oxenford and Rod Tucker, as well as third umpire Ian Gould and fourth umpire Steve Davis.
Dilshan and Jayawardena were charged for excessive and prolonged appealing in a keenly-contested low-scoring match that New Zealand won by one-wicket on Sunday.
Both the players pleaded guilty to a Level 1 breach of the ICC Code of Conduct and as such, under the provisions of the code, the matter was determined by match referee Andy Pycroft and so there was no requirement for a full hearing.
"Irrespective of the outcome of an umpire`s decision, players are not entitled to prolonged appeals as these can be construed as pressuring the umpires. Both the players accepted their mistake and apologised for their actions," Pycroft later said.
All Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand and a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player`s match fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?