England to receive six-figure `prize pot` if they win Champions Trophy
London: The England cricket team will reportedly receive a sum approaching six figures if they can win the ICC Champions Trophy at Edgbaston on Sunday by beating India in the final.
If England can win the country`s first major 50-overs title, they will receive two million dollars, with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirming that the whole prize pot will be shared among the 15-man squad.
As runner-up, England is already guaranteed to receive at least one million dollars, making this a lucrative five-match campaign, although it is the chance to make history on home soil that has motivated the squad throughout.
If England wins the Champions Trophy, then players like Jos Buttler, Ravi Bopara, James Anderson, Stuart Broad and even the previously unheralded James Tredwell will be made more attractive to Indian Premier League (IPL) franchises when the next auction is held later in the year.
The players are still being hindered by the clash between the latter stages of the IPL and England`s spring Test programme, despite the Professional Cricketers` Association`s attempts to negotiate a larger window for experienced England players to play in the IPL.
England have won only one of the 20 previous world tournaments organised by the International Cricket Council since reaching two World Cup finals in 1979 and 1992 - the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean in early 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Turkey mends fences with Israel and Russia in foreign policy reset
- Roy Hodgson quits as England boss after Iceland humiliation
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission