Fletcher addressing top-order batting failure, says Ashwin
Cardiff: Despite recording two facile victories in the warm-up games, India are worried about their top-order batting, spinner Ravichandran Ashwin said here on Tuesday.
Like the first warm-up game against Sri Lanka in Edgbaston on Saturday, India suffered a similar top-order collapse against Australia today.
India were struggling at 55 for five in the 17th over till skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni (91) and Dinesh Karthik rescued the innings with a fabulous 211-run sixth wicket stand.
Indian off-spinner said coach Duncan Fletcher "is addressing the issue, but the players will have to deliver on the field."
"Fletcher has got vast experience of English conditions. He has been passing knowledge to the team but it is up to us to take it forward," Ashwin told reporters, after India`s comprehensive 243-run win.
"He (Fletcher) has told our batsmen, `runs will come if you stay at the wicket`," added Ashwin.
Karthik (146 not out) scored his second consecutive century and never looked in trouble during his 140-ball stay.
"I hope he carries this purple patch wherever he goes," Ashwin said about his Tamil Nadu colleague.
Ashwin expressed a word of caution saying the big wins in warm-up games count for nothing.
"It`s for us to do best of what we can and get as much as a team. On Thursday (when India play South Africa), it will be a fresh start," Ashwin said.
Australia’s stand-in skipper George Bailey termed the massive defeat as "disappointing."
Australia were bowled out for a paltry 65 in 23.3 overs and presented India a victory on the platter. Bailey was not amused.
"There were no gremlins in the wicket and this defeat is a good lesson for us. We just need to be more patient," Bailey said, adding Michael Clarke’s timely recovery for the tournament will be crucial to the team’s success in the Champions Trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says