ICC should learn from IPL to promote Champions Trophy style events: Gayle
Johannesburg: West Indies batting star Chris Gayle has said that the International Cricket Council (ICC) can learn from the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) for publicising events such as the Champions Trophy.
The ICC Champions Trophy, which was once described as the `unwanted child` of world cricket by former ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed, will be starting its seventh and final edition in Cardiff on June 6, Sport24 reports.
The report further said that the IPL has captivated crowds in India, where the enthusiasm for cricket provides the bulk of the finance that fuels the global game despite the tournament being rocked by recent spot-fixing allegations.
Stating that the success of the IPL mainly depends on its promotion, the left-hander, who caused headlines worldwide with the fastest-ever Twenty20 century in the IPL, said that although even though the World Cup-style Champions Trophy is a bigger tournament than the IPL, it is not so well highlighted as compared to the Indian tournament.
According to Gayle, the ICC should focus more on the promotion of such event, given that it is the last edition of the Champions Trophy, to start making people gravitate back towards the 50-over game.
Citing the fact that the West Indies has won the Champions Trophy only once, in England in 2004, Gayle, however, insisted that they can still take a lot from it, regardless of the fact that nine years is a long time ago, adding that they take it as a positive factor that they had won in England in cold conditions.
According to Gayle, they have a good chance of success at the Champions Trophy, as they had won the Twenty20 World Cup , although he added that it is vital for them to make a good start in their tournament opener against Pakistan at The Oval on June 7 to set the tone for their future games.
Drawn in Group B alongside India, Pakistan and South Africa, the West Indies will have their work cut out to reach the semi-finals, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender