ICC should learn from IPL to promote Champions Trophy style events: Gayle
Johannesburg: West Indies batting star Chris Gayle has said that the International Cricket Council (ICC) can learn from the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) for publicising events such as the Champions Trophy.
The ICC Champions Trophy, which was once described as the `unwanted child` of world cricket by former ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed, will be starting its seventh and final edition in Cardiff on June 6, Sport24 reports.
The report further said that the IPL has captivated crowds in India, where the enthusiasm for cricket provides the bulk of the finance that fuels the global game despite the tournament being rocked by recent spot-fixing allegations.
Stating that the success of the IPL mainly depends on its promotion, the left-hander, who caused headlines worldwide with the fastest-ever Twenty20 century in the IPL, said that although even though the World Cup-style Champions Trophy is a bigger tournament than the IPL, it is not so well highlighted as compared to the Indian tournament.
According to Gayle, the ICC should focus more on the promotion of such event, given that it is the last edition of the Champions Trophy, to start making people gravitate back towards the 50-over game.
Citing the fact that the West Indies has won the Champions Trophy only once, in England in 2004, Gayle, however, insisted that they can still take a lot from it, regardless of the fact that nine years is a long time ago, adding that they take it as a positive factor that they had won in England in cold conditions.
According to Gayle, they have a good chance of success at the Champions Trophy, as they had won the Twenty20 World Cup , although he added that it is vital for them to make a good start in their tournament opener against Pakistan at The Oval on June 7 to set the tone for their future games.
Drawn in Group B alongside India, Pakistan and South Africa, the West Indies will have their work cut out to reach the semi-finals, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!