Injury concerns for South Africa ahead of India game
Cardiff: Two days ahead of the Champions Trophy opener against India, South Africa were dealing with injury concerns with pace spearhead Dale Steyn nursing a side strain and Robin Peterson taking a hit on his foot while batting.
Steyn has been diagnosed with a left side strain after bowling five overs during the side`s six-wicket defeat to Pakistan in a warm-up game and scans confirmed the strain.
Peterson could not bowl in the match after he was hit on the foot while batting. He appears likely to recover in time for Thursday`s match.
South Africa have added Quinton de Kock to their group as an unofficial member as Steyn, Peterson picked up injuries.
De Kock has been added to the group as cover for captain and wicket-keeper A B de Villiers.
In case de Villiers is not fit for the opening match, Faf du Plessis is likely to lead the side.
"Dale complained of some discomfort during the warm-up match against Pakistan on Monday and because of the sensitive nature of the affected area he was subsequently taken for an MRI scan which revealed mild swelling in a left intercostal muscle, in the region of the 11th and 12th rib," team manager Mohammed Moosajee explained.
"At this stage we are unable to determine whether he will be available for the first match against India in Cardiff, however, we will be assessing and treating intensively on a daily basis," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi