Injury concerns for South Africa ahead of India game
Cardiff: Two days ahead of the Champions Trophy opener against India, South Africa were dealing with injury concerns with pace spearhead Dale Steyn nursing a side strain and Robin Peterson taking a hit on his foot while batting.
Steyn has been diagnosed with a left side strain after bowling five overs during the side`s six-wicket defeat to Pakistan in a warm-up game and scans confirmed the strain.
Peterson could not bowl in the match after he was hit on the foot while batting. He appears likely to recover in time for Thursday`s match.
South Africa have added Quinton de Kock to their group as an unofficial member as Steyn, Peterson picked up injuries.
De Kock has been added to the group as cover for captain and wicket-keeper A B de Villiers.
In case de Villiers is not fit for the opening match, Faf du Plessis is likely to lead the side.
"Dale complained of some discomfort during the warm-up match against Pakistan on Monday and because of the sensitive nature of the affected area he was subsequently taken for an MRI scan which revealed mild swelling in a left intercostal muscle, in the region of the 11th and 12th rib," team manager Mohammed Moosajee explained.
"At this stage we are unable to determine whether he will be available for the first match against India in Cardiff, however, we will be assessing and treating intensively on a daily basis," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan