IPL spot-fixing: Police oppose bail plea of Chandila, others
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Friday opposed the bail plea of Rajasthan Royal`s player Ajit Chandila in the IPL spot-fixing scandal saying he was a "key conspirator" in the entire case and was acting at the behest of a syndicate run by gangster Dawood Ibrahim.
In its reply filed before Additional Sessions Judge Ajay Kumar Jain, the Special Cell of Delhi Police said Chandila was directly in contact with bookies and players and had received money to perform as per their directions.
"For accused Ajit Chandila, it is reiterated that this player has emerged as the key conspirator in the entire chain acting on behalf of the syndicate... A huge amount of money has also been recovered at his instance, which was received from various fixers. In view of the centrality of his role, his bail is strongly opposed," the police said.
The police reply came on the bail applications filed by Chandila, Ashwani Aggarwal, Baburao Yadav, Deepak Kumar and Sunil Bhatia, which was also strongly opposed.
The court, has also directed police to file reply on the bail application of alleged bookie Ramesh Vyas, who moved the court seeking relief after being remanded in judicial custody till June 18.
After hearing the arguments for a short time, the judge adjourned the applications for tomorrow saying he has to go through the file throughly.
Delhi Police on May 16 arrested three cricketers -- S Sreesanth, Chandila and Ankeet Chavan of Rajasthan Royal`s -- on charges of spot-fixing.
Delhi Police slapped provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) on Sreesanth, Chandila, Chavan and on 25 others in the case, alleging that they were acting under the command of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Shakeel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?