My long spell is helping the team: Bhuvneshwar
Birmingham: India`s latest swing bowling sensation Bhuvneshwar Kumar feels that his team is gaining from his long spells with the new ball.
Against Pakistan on Saturday, Man of the Match Kumar bowled eight overs on-the-trot to pick the crucial wickets of Nasir Jamshed and Mohammed Hafeez.
"In English conditions, the new ball is expected to swing and I feel the captain wants to get the best out of me. I have been doing this quite regularly in India too," Kumar told reporters after India`s emphatic eight-wicket win against Pakistan here at Edgbaston.
Kumar said there were no special plans against Pakistan.
"As a new ball bowler, it`s my job to stick to the basics. But it`s true that the ball is not swinging as much as I thought it would in English conditions. The bounce has been good, though," the 23-year-old from Meerut said.
Asked whether he is ready to spearhead India`s pace attack, the youngster replied, "I am still learning and speaking to the seniors. It`s too early to look into the future and say I am going to spearhead India`s bowling attack. I will like to take one match at a time," Kumar, who got his maiden ODI Man of the Match award, said.
Kumar (2/19) produced his best bowling performance against Pakistan in ODIs, bettering the two for 27 at Chennai on December 30, 2012. This was also his best in Champions Trophy. The pacer said he was never in awe of the Pakistan batsmen.
"Swing is my main weapon. All bowlers depend on movement and I am no exception. Whether it`s Pakistan or any other team, the approach is the same. We went in today quite confident of our abilities. We won two matches as a team and we had a lot of belief in our batting, bowling and fielding," Kumar stated.
Kumar, like most youngsters in this Indian team, thanked captain MS Dhoni for keeping the pressures off the squad here in UK.
"He is cool and calculated. He wants us to forget the past and live in the present. This really helps prepare for a match," the UP lad concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP