PCB mulling performance based pay for players
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board is thinking of introducing a performance based pay package for the players in the wake of the national team`s disastrous performance in the ongoing ICC Champions Trophy in England.
Ironically, although the Board has since last year twice given pay raises to the players in their central contracts and match fees, this has not reflected in their performances.
In the Champions Trophy, Pakistan lost all its three group matches to crash out of the tournament.
A well informed source in the PCB said that even though there was some confusion over the appointment of a interim chairman following the suspension of Zaka Ashraf by the Islamabad High Court, the Board officials are thinking whether a performance based pay package can be introduced for the players or not.
"When the players do well the Board rewards them with bonuses for wins and individual performances. The feeling now is that payment slab system should be according to their performance series wise and tournament-to-tournament basis instead of long-term contracts," the source said.
In the past also the board has discussed performance based pay packages for players.
The source explained that a new thought process was that players who do well should be rewarded accordingly while those who don`t perform upto expectations should get a lesser pay package regardless of their seniority.
At present the players who are given central contracts are assured of monthly retainer payments in three categories regardless of whether they are selected to play for Pakistan or not.
Following the poor show in the Champions Trophy calls have increased for the Board to make changes in the team and dump senior players who have not been performing for sometime now, including Shoaib Malik, Kamran Akmal, Imran Farhat and Mohammad Hafeez.
According to present pay scales, top category players like Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Hafeez and Saeed Ajmal will make around 1.2 million from the tour to England while those in category B will make around 850,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey