PCB reconsidering `dropped` Afridi for West Indies after Pak`s CT flop
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has been reportedly considering the return of all-rounder Shahid Afridi to the squad for the upcoming West Indies tour due to the team`s woeful campaign at the ICC Champions Trophy.
The Champions Trophy snub was the second for Afridi within six months, after being dropped for the one-day series in India, owing to his poor form in the South Africa tour, despite his abilities as an effective spin bowler.
However, Pakistan`s poor show at the Champions Trophy, where most of the senior players failed with the bat, has forced the selection committee to re-think, with a selector saying that the debate on recalling the star all-rounder has started within the selection committee, inspite of the vacant chairman seat.
Stating that even experienced players like former captain Shoaib Malik , who was preferred for his valuable knocks in South Africa, have failed to perform in the Champions Trophy, the selector said that the board is reconsidering Afridi as he is experienced and may regain rhythm after a break.
The selector further said that players like Younus Khan, Ahmed Shahzad and Hammad Azam are also under consideration, although he added that formal talks are yet to be undertaken over the subject.
Another PCB official said the selection committee members had an `informal` discussion with head coach Dav Whatmore about the team`s failure in which the head coach assessed players` performance and their mistakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'