Steyn is a doubtful starter vs India, says AB De Villiers
Cardiff: South Africa captain AB de Villiers tried to put up a brave front as he informed that his premier fast bowler Dale Steyn is a doubtful starter against India in the opening group league encounter of the Champions Trophy here on Wednesday.
Steyn is suffering from a side strain and pulled out after bowling just five overs during a warm-up match against Pakistan at The Oval on Monday.
"He (Steyn) is not looking good at all. We will reassess tonight and again tomorrow morning and it`s still touch and go. It`s not only one game and won`t like to risk him," De Villiers told reporters here at the National Cricket Centre on Wednesday.
De Villiers however said he wasn`t too worried with Steyn`s absence.
"We have the experience and the energy to do our best. Against India, we will come out like a pack of wolves," he said.
Stating that the first 10-15 overs in every game will be crucial in the tournament, De Villiers said they are aware about the pros and cons of the Indian players.
"We know a lot of about each player in their camp and we surely have our plans for them," he said.
South Africa have former Indian coach Gary Kirsten as their team boss. Quite a few players like Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli, who were part of the 2011 World Cup-winning squad, still remain the backbone of the Indian squad here at the Champions Trophy.
This will be Kirsten`s last assignment as coach of the South African national team.
De Villiers said winning will depend on how well India or South Africa play as a team.
"It`s not about individuals. We have to play as a team and we are a set one and I am very happy with the combination we have," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees