Steyn is a doubtful starter vs India, says AB De Villiers
Cardiff: South Africa captain AB de Villiers tried to put up a brave front as he informed that his premier fast bowler Dale Steyn is a doubtful starter against India in the opening group league encounter of the Champions Trophy here on Wednesday.
Steyn is suffering from a side strain and pulled out after bowling just five overs during a warm-up match against Pakistan at The Oval on Monday.
"He (Steyn) is not looking good at all. We will reassess tonight and again tomorrow morning and it`s still touch and go. It`s not only one game and won`t like to risk him," De Villiers told reporters here at the National Cricket Centre on Wednesday.
De Villiers however said he wasn`t too worried with Steyn`s absence.
"We have the experience and the energy to do our best. Against India, we will come out like a pack of wolves," he said.
Stating that the first 10-15 overs in every game will be crucial in the tournament, De Villiers said they are aware about the pros and cons of the Indian players.
"We know a lot of about each player in their camp and we surely have our plans for them," he said.
South Africa have former Indian coach Gary Kirsten as their team boss. Quite a few players like Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli, who were part of the 2011 World Cup-winning squad, still remain the backbone of the Indian squad here at the Champions Trophy.
This will be Kirsten`s last assignment as coach of the South African national team.
De Villiers said winning will depend on how well India or South Africa play as a team.
"It`s not about individuals. We have to play as a team and we are a set one and I am very happy with the combination we have," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog