Warner stood down from CT match after altercation at bar
Melbourne: Australian batsman David Warner was on Wednesday "stood down" from the Champions Trophy group A match against New Zealand for being allegedly involved in a physical altercation with an England player, believed to be Joe Root.
"Cricket Australia (CA) advises that Australian batsman David Warner has been stood down from Australia`s ICC Champions Trophy match against New Zealand tonight after being reported for breaching the CA Code of Behaviour," CA said in a statement.
Warner has been reported for breaching Rule 6 relating to "unbecoming behaviour" after he was allegedly involved in a physical altercation with an England player in the early hours of Sunday morning following the Champions Trophy match between the teams in Birmingham.
The incident reportedly took place in a Birmingham bar and involved alcohol after Australia lost by 48 runs to England in their tournament-opener.
"Team management have stood down Warner pending the outcome of the hearing, meaning he will miss Australia`s match against New Zealand in Birmingham tonight," CA said.
"Rule 6 states: Without limiting any other rule, players and officials must not at any time engage in behaviour unbecoming to a representative player or official that could (a) bring them or the game of game into disrepute or (b) be harmful to the interests of cricket."
CA will convene the Code of Behaviour hearing as soon as possible. Details will be provided once the time and date is confirmed.
"CA will not be making any further comment until after the hearing," it said.
Warner, who played for Delhi Daredevils in the IPL, most recently hit the headlines after being fined 5,750 Australian dollars last month for breaching CA`s code of behaviour following his Twitter rant against a couple of journalists.
He subsequently apologised for it but insisted that he did that to defend himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire