Warner stood down from CT match after altercation at bar
Melbourne: Australian batsman David Warner was on Wednesday "stood down" from the Champions Trophy group A match against New Zealand for being allegedly involved in a physical altercation with an England player, believed to be Joe Root.
"Cricket Australia (CA) advises that Australian batsman David Warner has been stood down from Australia`s ICC Champions Trophy match against New Zealand tonight after being reported for breaching the CA Code of Behaviour," CA said in a statement.
Warner has been reported for breaching Rule 6 relating to "unbecoming behaviour" after he was allegedly involved in a physical altercation with an England player in the early hours of Sunday morning following the Champions Trophy match between the teams in Birmingham.
The incident reportedly took place in a Birmingham bar and involved alcohol after Australia lost by 48 runs to England in their tournament-opener.
"Team management have stood down Warner pending the outcome of the hearing, meaning he will miss Australia`s match against New Zealand in Birmingham tonight," CA said.
"Rule 6 states: Without limiting any other rule, players and officials must not at any time engage in behaviour unbecoming to a representative player or official that could (a) bring them or the game of game into disrepute or (b) be harmful to the interests of cricket."
CA will convene the Code of Behaviour hearing as soon as possible. Details will be provided once the time and date is confirmed.
"CA will not be making any further comment until after the hearing," it said.
Warner, who played for Delhi Daredevils in the IPL, most recently hit the headlines after being fined 5,750 Australian dollars last month for breaching CA`s code of behaviour following his Twitter rant against a couple of journalists.
He subsequently apologised for it but insisted that he did that to defend himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer