We are a bit devastated: Alastair Cook
Birmingham: England captain Alastair Cook said that they were devastated after losing the ICC Champions Trophy final to India by five runs at Edgbaston here Sunday.
After being put into bat, India made 129/7 off 20 overs after rain delayed the start of the match. In reply, the hosts could only manage 124/8.
“With 20-odd needed off 16 balls it was in our hands. There have been a lot of good performances, but at the moment we are a bit devastated,” said Cook at the presentation ceremony.
“We`ve come up a little short. I thought we bowled well, you`d take 130. It`s tough to take at the moment. I think both sides found the pitch quite hard to bat on. You are always going to think of different reasons. I`m proud of the way the players have performed in this tournament,” added the left handed batsman.
England had previously reached the final of the 2004 Champions Trophy when they lost to the West Indies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results
- 'Suicide attempt by Nirbhaya rape convict raises questions about jail security drills'
- Iranian Navy in 'unsafe' intercept of US destroyer: Official
- Oops! Iulia Vantur 'just friends' with Salman Khan? Full story inside