Windies keeper Ramdin banned for two CT matches over `wrong catch` claim
Sydney: West Indies` wicket-keeper Denesh Ramdin has been suspended for two one-day matches and was fined 100 percent of his match fee for wrongly claiming a catch in their ICC Champions Trophy opener against Pakistan.
Match referee Chris Broad charged Ramdin with violating the spirit of the game following a hearing in London after the wicket-keeper had pleaded not guilty to the offence.
In a statement released by the International Cricket Council ( ICC ), Broad said that Ramdin`s action is regarded as a serious offence as it is the responsibility of all players to act in the spirit of the game, adding that he hoped that Ramdin has learnt his lesson from this incident and that they will not see such behaviour by him or any player in the future.
In response to the suspension, a West Indies spokesman said that they will not appeal against Ramdin`s ban, adding that opener Johnson Charles would be behind the stumps against the upcoming match against India.
The suspension means that Ramdin will miss Tuesday`s match against India at the Oval and the last group game against South Africa in Cardiff on Friday.
The incident took place at the Oval, London, last Friday when Ramdin appeared to catch Pakistan captain Misbah-ul Haq off Kemar Roach before the batsman had opened his account.
Although Australian umpire Steve Davis gave Misbah out but replays showed that while Ramdin had initially, caught the ball, he subsequently allowed it to spill out of his grasp, after which, it was eventually decided that Ramdin did not have full control over the ball.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'